News & Events

The work of Hudson Valley artist Elayne Seaman will be on view in the Palmer Gallery, February 23-March 16, 2017

A new exhibition at Vassar College’s James W. Palmer Gallery features the work of an acclaimed Hudson Valley artist. The Joy in Detail: The Incised Paintings of Elayne Seaman, a Retrospective is on view February 23-March 16. An opening reception will be held on Thursday, February 23, 5:00-7:00pm, in the gallery. All events are free and open to the public.

The exhibition is comprised of a selection of Seaman’s paintings created on paper board covered in white china clay ground and Claybord—a wood panel covered with a similar porcelain ground.

“I’ve always felt a sense of wonder about the loveliness of color and I’ve always been fascinated by line and detail,” Seaman explains. “Both the white china clay ground on paper board and the wood panel Claybord allow me to create a single piece of work that encompasses my two visions and two interpretations of the same subject.” She uses ink or acrylic paint to cover the boards, which makes it possible to create a color painting with incised drawing on one complete work. “Painting the boards with a single color results in an incised drawing with a sculptural impression. Unforgiving and labor intensive, challenging and intriguing, these methods became the foundation of my work,” she says.

The exhibition contains more than 20 paintings. Many of the pieces are inspired by nature and, specifically, the Hudson Valley landscape.

Seaman’s works have been shown widely in both group exhibitions as well as one-artist shows in galleries in the United States and France. Her works are held in numerous private and public collections, including by the Bibliotheque Nationale in Paris. Locally, she has been an artist-in-residence in elementary, middle and high schools in the Mid-Hudson Valley. Among her many honors, Seaman has been the recipient of a Dutchess County Arts Council Individual Artist Award, the Mill Street

Loft Friend of the Arts Award, the Marist College President’s Award, and the Eleanor Roosevelt Val-Kill Medal.

ABOUT THE JAMES W. PALMER III GALLERY
The James W. Palmer III Gallery serves as an exhibition space for artwork created within and beyond the Vassar community, displaying art of diverse media, themes, and origins. Constructed in 1996, the gallery was named and endowed by the Palmer family in 2000 in memory of their son James, a member of the Vassar class of 1990. It is situated between the North Atrium and the Retreat cafeteria at the heart of the College Center addition to Vassar’s Main Building.

The gallery is open Monday-Friday, 10:00am-6:00pm and Saturday-Sunday, 12:00pm-5:00pm.

Vassar College strives to make its events, performances, and facilities accessible to all. Individuals with disabilities requiring special accommodations must contact the Office of Campus Activities at least 48 hours in advance of an event, Mondays-Fridays, at (845) 437-5370. Without sufficient notice, appropriate space/and or assistance may not be available. For detailed information about accessibility to specific campus facilities, search for “campus accessibility information” on the Vassar homepage (http://www.vassar.edu).

Directions to the Vassar campus, located at 124 Raymond Avenue in Poughkeepsie, NY, are available at www.vassar.edu/directions.

Vassar College is a highly selective, coeducational, independent, residential liberal arts college founded in 1861.

Posted by Office of Communications Monday, February 6, 2017